OK, so it’s Monday 7am. Aidan’s had 3 nights in the toddler bed. Putting him to bed hasn’t been the easiest thing in the world, but for the past two nights, it hasn’t taken any more than 10 minutes for him to calm down. It could certainly be much harder. In fact, we were expecting it to be much more difficult.

He hasn’t fallen out over night. He hasn’t gotten up over night. In the mornings he does his (now) typical morning routine … he sings and talks to himself until one of us comes down and ‘gets him up’. It’s funny: I’ve heard about the phenomenon of toddlers staying in the bed because they don’t think they can get up until someone comes in and ‘gets them up’ even if there’s nothing physically preventing them from getting up … but I didn’t think it would happen in our case. And I don’t know how long it will last. Yesterday, I merely poked my head in Aidan’s room (around 7:30-ish after letting him sing and talk for an hour or more — he’d been making noises on and off from about 5:30 am) and then he swung his feet over the edge of the bed and got up and started playing.

We spent a little bit of time yesterday letting Aidan ride his bike. It’s obviously going to take a little bit of time for him to get used to it. He liked walking it (pulling it by the handle bars) almost as much as being pushed on it. There was a little bit of peddling, but not a lot. We need to go down to Charleson Park to let him free-wheel for a bit.

On the geocaching side, Aidan and I headed off to pick up a cache that we didn’t attempt last weekend. California Roll and Blue Chevy Mad Science is by Acadia Beach on the north side of the Point Grey pennisula.  I thought it’d be a quick find, but I didn’t read the logs too quickly.  Turns out it’s about 30 m off the trail on a small hill and it required a fair bit of bushwacking.  It was just Aidan and I, and typically when we’ve gone after caches that have been off-trail, it takes one of us to wrangle the boy, and the other to search for the cache.  I weighed the options, and given the enthusiasm of the boy I decided to take the plunge.  I was a bit worried that a muggle was going to wander by and ask what I was doing leading a 3 yr old boy into the woods, but … oh well.  Anyway, we made our way to ground zero and proceeded to spend … I don’t know 20, maybe 30 minutes looking for the cache.  Aidan kept himself quite occupied by poking at trees and leaves, and playing with the hiking pole I had given him, but it was still distracting having to keep one eye on him and one eye on the ground looking for the cache.  Plus, I couldn’t very well range too far away from him.  But his humour kept up, and my humour kept up and eventually I stumbled across the cache.  I called Aidan over (erm, and helped him climb/scramble over the brush and fallen trees) and he happily checked through all the damp geoswag while I signed the log and deposited one of our pins.  After that it was a quick trip out, and as far as I know no one called the RCMP to report me. :)

Postscript: It’s 7:20 am now and Aidan’s been awake for the past 10 minutes or so.  Happily singing and talking in bed.  I guess I’ll have to go down and get him up!